Saturday, August 27, 2011

Homemade Mayo, anyone?

I"ve been experimenting this week with all sorts of different fun projects.  I've been so blessed to be able to have stayed home this week.  I am sad that this time is drawing to a close, but to be honest I am anxious (and nervous) to get back in the swing of this.  Exspeically with all the crazyness that has been going on a work. 
I was thinking about how much I enjoy fair week.  I really enjoy the fair food.  I really, really enjoy the fair fries with vinager on them.  I've decided that's what I'm going to make for dinner.  I'm going to dig out my mini deep fryer and see what happens.  I already set some chicken out and I got this craving for a chicken wrap.  Thus, I decided I wanted to make my own mayo.  I didn't realize how simple and tasty it is!
2 egg yoks
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 lime, squeezed
salt and pepper to taste
dash of curry powder
1/2 cup veg. oil
Put the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and blend.  Then you slowly add the oil and keep it blending.  I wanted a 'bite' from my mayo so that's why I put in the curry powder.  Keep it mixing until you reach a nice 'mayo-ish' consistency.  It can be stored in the fridge for a week or so, in an air tight container. 
I plan on making chicken wraps with my new mayo and lettuce.  I might even add some mushrooms and onions.  I'm pretty excited! 

On a different note::  did you know that you can use equal parts borax and baking soda as dishwasher detergent?  You can also use vinegar as a rinse aid.  It worked out great!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Betsy,
    Glad to see your blogging! I think it's so much fun! Would you say the mayo is comparable to store bought? I am trying to make more things homemade and cut out all the preservatives and dyes that are in our food.
    I am also making homemade laundry soap I am making the powder form though: ) Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete